Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company and Metrobus Access
We are committed to providing excellent
service to everyone. We recognise that our customers have a range
of needs and we are working with various groups to make sure that
our services and products are completely accessible.
We now have a 100% low floor fully
accessible fleet of buses which has one of the youngest age
profiles of any fleet in the country.
Accessibility friendly features
Bright and easy to read destination displays on the front,
rear and nearside of our buses which clearly show the route number
and final destination of each service.
Each bus has suspension that is capable of being
lowered to the level of the kerb making it easier for passengers to
walk straight off the pavement and on to the
- Each bus has a ramp which can be lowered
to make it easy for wheelchair users to get on the bus and access
the wheelchair space.
- Our drivers are asked to fully
comply with the law in respect of the wheelchair space on our buses
and will always ask other passengers, including mothers with
pushchairs and buggies to vacate the wheelchair space. If for any
reason you are unable to board and you aren't happy to wait for the
next bus, our taxi guarantee will ensure you are not left stranded
and our driver will make contact with our Control Team to arrange a
taxi on your behalf.
- Every bus is fitted with
screens showing the name of the next stop and will also show if
someone has already pressed the bell to request that the bus
- Every bus is fitted
with 'talking buses' equipment which provides an audible
announcement for the next stop information displayed on the
- In order to ensure that our drivers are equipped to provide the
best level of assistance and care during your journey and in order
to reduce any embarrassment on busy buses, passengers with a
variety of different access needs can request a yellow 'Helping
Hand' card which can be shown to the driver when boarding to advise
of your needs. These can be personalised for your specific access
needs and might range from requesting the ramp to be lowered or for
you to be able to get seated before the bus. The options are only
limited by being able to fit the required text on to the card. More
information can be found
- We are currently trialing a hearing loop equipped
double decker bus and hope that if successful, we may be able to
roll this out across the rest of our fleet.
- Assistance dogs are welcome on all our buses
at no charge.
In our 1 Stop Travel Shop
- Our One Stop Travel Shop is accessible by wheelchair and
is situated on one level with a ramp to access all customer facing
- Our 1 Stop Travel Shop is well lit with comfortable
- All our card machines or PDQ machines have a raised
dot on the number 5 and coloured keys for 'enter' and
- All our timetables are available in large print by
- Our 'Helping Hand' cards can also be used to alert
our customer service staff to your access needs. All cards can
feature 'bump ons' for the benefit of our blind or visually
- Hearing induction loops are available at some of
our counter positions.
- A queuing system is in operation at busy times and
customers are invited to take a ticket - the ticket is available at
a suitable height for all users and there are screens and audible
announcements advising customers of their position in the queue and
directing them to an available advisor when they reach their
- Our 1 Stop Travel Shop and our Head Office at Conway Street are
both dementia safe havens. More information on the safe haven
scheme is available
- Our accessibility video available on the
website via our you tube channel includes subtitles and all future
videos that are uploaded will also feature
- Our website 'www.buses.co.uk' is equipped with Speak Me
and Recite Me software that enables users to increase the font
size, change the colours, change the language and provide audible
assistance by using the cursor to hover over any aspect of the
- Regular training days are organised in
partnership with Guide Dogs and Friends of the Elderly to increase
- All our driver trainers are now Guide Dog
Champions to Level 3.
- 350 staff (including all front line Customer
Service staff) have received training to become Dementia
- All our Customer Service staff, 1 Stop Travel
staff and Specialist Drivers/Tour Guides on the City Sightseeing
Brighton Tour have undergone online accessibility awareness
training in partnership with Visit England.
- All our staff are in the process of taking a
training course called 'Going the Extra Mile' which is aimed at
improving general customer service delivery and also focuses on
those passengers with accessibility needs.
- We have appointed a full time
Accessibility Officer to work with passengers, local accessibility
groups and stakeholders to improve
- 43% of bus stops within Brighton & Hove
- Within Brighton and Hove, and the surrounding areas, the
bus stops are located close to all major tourists attractions and
destinations of interest.
- 27% of all bus stops within Brighton & Hove
have raised kerb stones to aid easy access to
- 90% of bus shelters within Brighton & Hove have
- 12% of the bus stop shelters with seating
also have arms.
- 15% of all bus stops within Brighton
& Hove have Real Time Information screens and an increasing
number of screens are becoming available in the surrounding East
and West Sussex authority areas.
- Blind and partially sighted passengers can
also obtain a key fob from us which can be activated adjacent to
the Real Time Information screens to provide audible announcements
of the next buses due on the screen.
Whilst we believe we have gone to
every length currently possible to make our bus services, travel
shops and travel information as easy to access as possible for all
our customers, we always welcome feedback if you think there is
something we can do to improve your experience with us,please feel
free to call us on 01273 886200.
- All bus stops are clearly marked and
well lit in the dark and where appropriate, include yellow markings
and the words 'stand back' to provide safe access as the buses
approach and align with the stops.
- Litter bins are provided at many bus stops but
are positioned safely so that they are not in conflict with the bus
For information on any of our
services or fares please call our customer services team on 01273
Phone lines are open:
Mondays - Fridays ~ 7am - 7pm
Saturdays ~ 8:30am - 5:30pm
Sundays and Bank Holidays ~ 9:30am - 4:30pm